Sunday, May 17, 2009

How I Met Your Father: Prom

The giggling was absolutely out of control. Jill was sitting across from me on the bed staring and laughing. I was literally shaking with nervousness and laughing so hard I probably wet my pants. His low voice was on the other end of the line saying "Hello?" and I was just sitting there...paralyzed.

Me: Um, Justin?
Him:Yeah?
Me: Did you know that I told someone that you were taking me to prom? (giggling)
Him: Yeah. (not giggling)
Me: Well, will you take me?
Him: Yeah.
Me: Are you sure?
Him: Yeah.
Me: I feel so stupid.
Him: (silence)
Me: I know I am such a dork.
Him: (silence)

So, you get the gist of our conversation. Pretty awkward, but hey--we were going to prom together. This was where I was going to set the hook and reel him in. Game: ON!

There were a couple of key moments leading up to prom that I should mention. The first happened one day after practice for a musical that I was in. He was doing the lighting. I had planned to NOT have a vehicle there to get me home after practice so that I could ask him for a ride. Well, I did ask him but right after I asked so did another girl. Of course he said yes to her, too. I was bummed. UNTIL--we left the parking lot and he headed to her home first. This was significant because it would have been more logical to take me home first since I lived right by the school and she lived several miles outside of town. We drove to her house and as soon as she got out of the car he popped a CD in the player. The song that came on was Jars of Clay's Love Song for a Savior. Now grant it--this is a song about Jesus :), but in that moment, the lyrics I want to fall in love with you, I want to fall in love with you...they were about me. Can you say(sing) SMOOTH OPERATOR? Oh, yeah.

A few days later I was singing in a talent show and Justin was working in the concession stand there. I was hoping he would be there because I had selected the song You Light Up My Life for my performance and I was singing every word of that song to him. Oh yes, I did. (I was so excited when his mom told me this song had been sung at her wedding. A "sign," I was sure.) I'm sure he was too busy eating candy or nachos to notice...When the show was over I went inside the concession stand and stood right beside him. Where this boldness came from, I have no idea. We were just looking at the floor swishing our feet around in silence when all of a sudden out of the blue he goes, "What color is your dress?" So sweet, I thought to myself. He was making small talk and he wanted to know what color my dress was so he could think about me in the dress and how beautiful I would look!

"My mom wants to know, " he mumbled. "What?" I asked, confused. "My mom wants to know what color your dress is so she can get you a flower thing. Oh, and do you want it on your hand or on your shoulder?" If you know this guy, you are probably beside yourself right now. He was so precious--still is. I ended up with a white rose wrist corsage.

Finally the night had come. I had the perfect dress, the hair was looking DANG good, and my plan was coming together. I remember walking into the living room and he looked at me and smiled. He didn't have to say anything, the look on his face was worth a million words.

Off we went.

Prom was fabulous. For some reason, I was wondering if he would actually dance with me. I know it was prom and all, but I just wasn't sure. Turns out--he danced with me every time a song was played. Sparks were definitely flying. When the prom was over we went to an after-prom party for a while and then headed home. I had strategically placed my bag in the backseat so that I would have to reach back there right before I got out of the car and when I came back down, we would be face to face thus inducing a smacker. Unfortunately, the plan did not work. I sat back down and we stared awkwardly at each other for a split second. He then nervously asked me if I was going to church in the morning, I told him yes, and then I got out of the car. The end. Sort of.

I walked in my house and looked out the kitchen window as he drove to the top of the driveway. I was smiling from my head to my toes. Do you know what that feels like? I was so overcome with emotion that I walked up to the refrigerator and banged my head on it a few times. I later found out from him that when he got to the top of the driveway that night, he stopped and banged his head on the steering wheel a few times. Cool, huh? At that moment, I believe we both knew where we were headed. We just had no idea how we were gonna get there.

To be continued...

Read Part 4

13 comments:

  1. I would give all of my worldly possessions to see Ferg dancing at that prom... PS i'm loving this blog-series. kind of upset i know how it ends, but still very suspenseful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ferg was a stud. that's all I can really say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet memories!! So glad "You Light Up My Life" did and continues to work so well for us.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWW Im glad the series is still in the works! I thought you forgot!! I am loving reading it. Yall are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series!! It makes me think of things that were going on at that time and, now, it all kinda makes sense LOL. However, I have to say and not to be a "Debbie Downer" but, I barely remember that prom. I don't even really remember seeing you guys there or anyone for that matter, it only reminds me of my Pappaw's funeral. Sad but true lol. And on a different not haha...I'm so happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED reading all three parts tonight! So cute! And, I love the prom picture too! No kiss at the dance though? I was surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I literally through my head back and laughed out loud while reading through the 3 part series. Maybe it's because I've never known the grown up-mother of 2-Keelie Ferguson, but I can definitely picture 18 year old Keelie Gage doing everything you described. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the series! It makes me smile, also. I am so glad that you added the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute!! What a neat way to tell this story - and you're such a very good writer! :) Can't wait for the rest of the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe! I love this story. But I agree w/Chad that I'm kind of upset I already know the rest of it! Hehe! Love you guys! And have ALWAYS LOVED that picture! :-)

    ReplyDelete