Thursday, March 26, 2009

Can of Worms...Open.

I have been anxiously awaiting the day upon which I could shamelessly fill my play list with Mayer tunes and explain my fascination with the guitar-playing, heart-breaking, pop-turned-blues singing, blogger extraordinaire. Thank you, Rob. Now, allow me to share...

It all started a couple of years ago when Jonah was about one and a half and waking up at all hours of the night and early morning. I was a new mother then and could not bear to hear the sound of my child crying out in the night. Boy did Glory miss that boat! Well anyway, it just so happened that at that time our satellite provider was showing a John Mayer concert on one of its pay-per-view channels, but it was free. The concert would air continuously back to back 24/7 and it did so for months. Jonah was just fascinated with the music and it was about the only thing on at 2:00 a.m. so we watched it. And we watched it. And we watched it. After a month or so of this, John Mayer and his music had become part of the fiber of my very being!

There was just something about his music that really pulled me in. I can truly appreciate an artist who writes all of his own music and lyrics. To top that off--I understood what his music was about...well, most of it. I also was enamoured by his guitar playing abilities. Now, I must admit that I know little to nothing about the guitar or guitar playing, but I had no doubt he was extremely talented. I was proven correct a few months later when Rolling Stone came out with an issue entitled The New Guitar Gods and Mayer was one of three artists on the cover. Now call me crazy (and someone actually did--for stating that John Mayer was one of the best guitarists of all time) but I believe that Rolling Stone magazine has a pretty good finger on the pulse of the music industry, do they not? I digress...

It really impressed Justin that I was interested in some type of music other than my old standbys and someone whose music he favored at that, so he made me a Mayer CD. (Awwwe! Sweet) It was always in the car or playing in the house. Jonah even learned some of the lyrics. You could hear him in the backseat singing along to Waiting on the World to Change. On many nights as we were saying our bedtime prayers, when I would ask Jonah who he wanted to pray for it would be Brooksy (cousin), Mitch (other cousin), and John Mayer. Right--John Mayer needs our prayers, doesn't he? And so we did.

The John Mayer CD became a point of commonality for Justin and me. It provided the backdrop for many an in-depth conversation. I would go as far as saying that Gravity is "our song" and if I could do it all over again I would insist that there be dancing at my wedding and our first dance would be to this song. It should be playing for you right now. Admit it, doesn't it just make you want to go get your sweetie and give 'em a big smooch?

One day I was looking online and saw that Mayer would be coming to Fair Park for a concert. I absolutely HAD to go and did. It was amazing. It was such an enjoyable experience that when I found out he was coming back again this past summer, I insisted that we go once more. Only this time I was 8 months pregnant. For crying out loud! I could not miss it. So I dragged my swollen, hypertensive, impregnated body to downtown Dallas in the sweltering August heat (this is an outdoor amphitheater) and waited to get my Mayer on.

Long story short (ha!), the electricity on the entire stage went out just before showtime and by the time it came back on, we think the band had met their good friends Jack and Daniel a few too many times ( Mary Jane might have been there too, but we're not sure) and Johnny was in rare form. He came out with freshly buzzed hair and no shirt. Here is a picture from that night. One of the most amazing moments of the concert. He was lying down and playing the guitar in ways that I cannot adequately describe. It was amazing. Utterly amazing.



Shortly after that, I thought I might pass out so we left while he was singing a Stevie Ray Vaughan tune. It was a serendipitously miserable night. Never forget it.

So now you hopefully have a better understanding of how my John Mayer affection developed. Totally uncharacteristic of the music I love, but it most definitely falls into that category. Every time I hear the song Daughters my mind goes right back to that couch, holding my baby boy who woke up in the middle of the night and all he wanted was Mamma and Mayer. John was the only other person there for those memories. For that reason, he will always be near and dear to my heart.

P.S.--JM was my first brush with blogging. He has a very entertaining blog, although not always 100% clean. He did a really neat thing at Christmas. Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it neat how hearing a certain song can jog your memory and take you back to an earlier time in your life? Sometimes a song will come on the radio and remind me of being in my first car, or of certain events that took place when the song was popular. Twenty years from now, when you hear that you will be reminded of those sleepless nights with your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew of your JM obsession, but I had no idea it stemmed from such sweet beginnings! I have a similar connection to Mr. Mayer--when Tucker was a newborn and I decided to let him "cry it out", I would put him down and lock myself in the study and listen to that first JM cd over and over again. It always reminds me of those first few months with Tucker when I hear it now ;o)

    ReplyDelete