Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Judge Not, Love Much



"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day." John 12:47, 48

We are taught what is right and wrong through His word. If we speak these truths in love--that is not judgement. That is obedience. In order for judgement to be present we must make a decision, form an opinion, or estimate the worth of another. As much as I would like to say I don't judge others, I do. We all do. Just think of how many times a day we might say something like, "she's cute" or "he's weird!" (Adam anyone? Hello!) If I am to be a follower of Christ, then I can't allow myself to be in a perpetual state of passing judgement. This would surely keep me from being able to focus on the important task at hand--pointing others toward Christ.

"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. But love your enemies (According to Strong's Concordance, an enemy opposes (God) in the mind, or is a man who is at enmity with God by his sin), do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked...Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 6:32-38

We love our families. We love our church families. We love our friends. We love the neighbor who keeps his lawn mowed. We love the waitress who gets our order right and keeps a smile on her face. We love the students who do what they are told and make good grades. We love politicians who share our opinions... But what about the "black sheep" of the family? The people who don't go to our church? The co-worker who treated us badly? The neighbor who is a recluse? The waitress who is rude and slow? The kid at school who acts out and smells bad? The politician who lies or makes poor decisions?

I have a difficult time loving because I am too busy deciding. Deciding how I feel about someone. Deciding what would have been a better choice for that person. Deciding if someone is genuine. Deciding if it is worth the effort. The Lord was, is and will be the ultimate DECIDER. The only decision we need to make about the people of this world is whether or not we will love them.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
-- Mother Teresa

1 comment:

  1. Very good post, Keelie. This is SOOO stuff I have been thinking about lately!

    ReplyDelete