Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Fresh Maker

I have been reading the Bible for as long as I can remember. I am not good at doing it faithfully as I should, but even an off-and-on'er can cover a lot of ground in 30 years. So I am always amazed when I come across some scripture like this:

Hebrews 12
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted... 12Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, 13and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. 14 Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled...

Just in case you didn't catch it, that little piece of Hebrews is chock-full of incredible encouragement, reminders, and answers. It. is. AWESOME.

I am sure I have encountered the passage many times before, but as I read the words tonight they fell fresh upon my heart. That is why this is His Living Word. That's not to say it can mean different things depending on who's reading it and what they are going through at the moment, contrary to what some believe. No, it always means the same thing no matter who you are or what you want to hear. But when something you have read many times suddenly becomes FRESH--as in "new to me"--well, that's the Living Word of God. Kinda like Mentos.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Where life is needed, He applies His Word. Great post, Keelie!

    ReplyDelete