Saturday, November 21, 2009

Susan's Sweet Potato Souffle

This is my aunt Susan's Sweet Potato Souffle recipe. {Being a southern girl, I just call it a casserole!} I love this recipe because I have never liked sweet potato casserole until I tasted hers. I believe the key is that she uses fresh sweet potatoes, boils and mashes them rather than using a canned product.

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 c mashed sweet potatoes
1 c sugar
1/2 stick butter - melted
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and salt together and whip with mixer. Turn into buttered shallow baking dish and top with:

1 c brown sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 stick melted butter
1 c pecans

Mix brown sugar, flour butter and pecans together. Topping will be chunky. Sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.


There really is something special about this recipe! I hope you will try it this year. I am about to make it for 200 people coming to a community meal this evening. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. OHHH... my mouth is watering. That sounds so good! :) ...for 200 people... now that's a whole lot of sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks great, and may the Lord bless your wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just by looking down the list of ingredients this sounds DELICIOUS! Butter, sugar then more butter and sugar - no wonder it is a fav. I think I am going to make this for my family for Thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds Amazing! I totally want to try it! Good Luck! Your gonna need it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just back to copy the recipe before I go to the store...Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! I actually JUST made this for tomorrow! I found that recipe here: http://www.grouprecipes.com/82254/ruths-chris-sweet-potato-casserole.html

    Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying this today (right this minute). SLURP! Thank you for this. I was teetering back and forth between just the usual mashed with butter or something fancy like this. My mouth is watering. :D

    ReplyDelete